Kibwezi Global Volunteer/Internship Program
Burke Presbyterian Church has been in partnership with the Kibwezi Mission Area of the Presbyterian Church of East Africa since 1988. We have taken many mission work camp groups to Kibwezi Kenya and have provided regular financial support to the programs of the Mission Area.
The Mission programs include the activities of the central Bethel Kibwezi church in Kibwezi and 15 outlying village congregations. It also includes the P.C.E.A Kibwezi Educational Center which contains a Primary & Nursery school, small Secretarial College and Youth Polytechnic with vocational training in carpentry, masonry, welding, electrical, dressmaking/tailoring, and hairdressing/beauty.
Often after our workcamp visits to Kibwezi, we have been asked if we could provide a long term volunteer to work in the Educational Center. This opportunity has been developed in response to this request.
To provide an opportunity for BPC members to develop a broader understanding of the Kenyan people and their expression of faith.
To become acquainted with the members of our partner church and participate in their ministries.
To enhance the program of the Educational Center by contributing skills in the programs of the Educational Center in the various vocational programs or in the primary or nursery school.
- Nineteen years of age or older
- At least high school graduate (or equivalent)
- Active member of a Presbyterian church
- Willingness to share personal faith and assist in worship
- Willingness to share your gifts and talents in such areas as primary education, English or computer skills, dress making, or building trades
- Willingness to learn from global partners
- Willingness to live simply in a subsistence environment
- Willingness to serve in Kenya for a period of 3 to 6 months
- BPC would expect to meet the expense of travel, board, and room and a small stipend
- Presbyterian Church(USA) contract and insurance
- Samuel Mote, Director of the Kibwezi Educational Center of the Presbyterian Church of East Africa would provide supervision
Contact Rick Bryan Kibwezi@BurkePresChurch.org for more information and application form.