The Session, the governing body of the church, consists of Elders charged with spiritual leadership of the congregation, overseeing programs, developing and monitoring the budget, setting policies, and long-range planning. The 15 Elders represent the programs and mission of the church:
- Children’s Spiritual Growth: Beth Ann Clare
- Youth Spiritual Growth: Karyn Niles
- Adult Spiritual Growth: Andrea Ham
- Worship: open
- Mission: Susan Lydick
- Evangelism: Gene Summerlin
- Office Operations: Lynn Sheehan
- Community Life: Amanda Deaton
- Small Groups: Meg Ross
- Facilities: open
- Stewardship: John Ariale
- Personnel: Dan Herrema
- Vocations: Anita Pesses
- Nominations: Michael Hrabak
- Clerk of Session: Gene Peters
Board of Deacons
The Board of Deacons has as its guiding motto “Because We Love You” as they, in ministry, provide care to the Burke Presbyterian Church family. The deacons serve on care-giving teams of two that respond as concerns arise throughout their week on call. They also serve as either a coordinator or on a care ministry team.
Deacons are called to minister to congregants who are in need, sick, lonely, or in distress. They do so by serving on a team of two as a weekly Deacon on Call approximately six times a year. During that week they:
- Take flowers from the Meeting House to those who might need some brightness in their lives or who could use some recognition for all they do in BPC.
- Respond to pastoral crises that occur with a card, call, visit, basket-of-love and/or food, as needed.
Deacons participate in ministry teams. The deacons are a gift to BPC and yet the normal chorus is that they get more out of being a deacon than they give. It’s a group of caring people who are a joy to know.
Members currently serving as deacons are: Amy Biehl (Moderator), Jean Buffardi, Jennifer Butler, Jenny Childress, Nancy Cox, Christina Eppink, Kathy Fleming, Catherine Gillespie, John Greenlees, Linda Greenlees, Karen Miller, B.J. Sadtler, Ed Sadtler, Charise Tangora, John Warren, and Heather Wickham.
To reach any one of these church leaders, simply write email@example.com.