Part time Pianist/Accompanist
Burke Presbyterian Church is seeking a talented and collaborative pianist to accompany adult and children’s choirs and lead worship service music.
The congregation expects high quality execution of worship music by the pianist/accompanist. The person who fills this position must be one who is always well prepared, an accomplished sight-reader, and open to a variety of styles of music. Congregational singing is an important part of the worship ministry; the pianist is expected to provide strong leadership in setting the style and imparting the message of the congregational hymns.
A Bachelor’s degree in piano or organ is required; significant experience and skill in service playing is required. Beginning salary is $25,000-30,000, based on education and experience, for an average of 10-12 hours per week. Position is available July 1, 2021 and open until filled. BPC is an equal opportunity employer. To apply submit resume and employment application to Music@BurkePresChurch.org or mail to Burke Presbyterian Church, 5690 Oak Leather Drive, Burke, VA 22015.
PURPOSE: To lead the worship service through piano music. This includes leading and supporting congregational singing; providing service music; accompanying the Chancel Choir and Rainbow Choirs; and providing accompaniment for soloists and/or ensembles for worship.
STAFF RELATIONS: The Pianist/Accompanist works under the direct supervision of the Director of Music Ministries (DMM) who is responsible to the Pastor(s) as Head-of-Staff. The Elder for Worship is the Director of Music Ministries’ representative to the Session.
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree in piano or organ.
- Have experience and skill in hymn leading and service playing. Strong sightreading skills are necessary.
- Understand the role of music in worship with knowledge of appropriate repertoire.
- Be well-organized and capable of following through to completion on plans and ideas.
- Be open to new ideas and be able to work as a collaborative musician.
- Prepare and play all service music for Sunday services, both virtual and in-person. Based on arrangements with DMM, worship leading through music includes congregational singing, service music as indicated in #8 below, as well as choir and other special music accompaniment.
- Provide accompaniment for all Chancel Choir rehearsals.
- Provide accompaniment for all Rainbow Promise (1st -3rd) and Rainbow Connection (4th-6th) rehearsals.
- Provide accompaniment for Daybreak Choir in worship services.
- Provide accompaniment for special rehearsals with soloists and/or vocal and instrumental ensembles.
- Take creative responsibility for thorough preparation of hymns so as to encourage congregational singing and enhance the worship experience.
- Provide keyboard music for special liturgical or other holiday services (e.g., Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Holy/Week, Easter) as required.
- Communicate and collaborate with Director of Music Ministries for all music needs, including periods of absence. Pianist/accompanist arranges substitutes for coverage of service and rehearsals when absent.
- Choose and prepare thoroughly a variety of service music appropriate to the season or worship service (hymn arrangements, classical pieces, newer compositions.) Service music may include Prelude, Offertory, Communion, and Postlude.
- Be available for weddings and funerals on a contractual basis.
- Prepare for and attend an annual review of job issues performed by the Pastor, DMM, the Worship Elder or designated representative, and a representative from the Personnel Committee. Preparation will include survey of accomplishments, a list of goals for the next year, and suggestions as to how the employment experience might be improved or changed.
- Maintain awareness and be familiar with updates in the worship and church music field. Be willing to attend BPC-funded professional development opportunities related to church music.
BPC Application for Employment